Monday, January 28, 2008

Thank You President Hinckley

(Note: this is a work in progress that will be completed over the next week(s) as I remember) Some things President Hinckley taught me that will always stick with me:

• “Forget yourself and go to work.” I recalled this story often on my mission, and at many other times when I feel discouraged, overmatched, or down about myself. I always find that when I make myself busy, especially in productive or service-oriented things, I feel much better.
• “Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without.” I always think of him as a small boy making money stretch and fixing holes in his socks. Especially when I’m throwing out old socks or DI’ing a bunch of my clothes. I wonder how wise of a steward I’m being and if I’m really “wearing it out.”
• The Family Proclamation
• The increase in temple building. Of the 8 temples I’ve attended in my life, 3 were created during President Hinckley’s time as prophet. When you consider that 4 are Utah temples, and 3 of those 4 were built in the 1800’s, it is even more significant how many more temples we have in the world today. I’ll always remember serving as an ordinance worker in the New York Temple, one that he prophesied would be given to us in his lifetime, and leading the prayer circle, always remembering to give thanks and ask for blessings for “our beloved prophet, President Gordon B. Hinckley.”
• He had such love and admiration for his wife Marjorie. He said that in all the years he’d been married he never remembers going to bed with a quarrel unresolved. He also said they had differences but they learned to live with them and learned to make one another better. The sorrow and loneliness he showed after she passed was deep and moving to observe.
• Indefatiguable work ethic
• Deep personal humility and wonderful sense of humor
• Unbounded optimism and belief in people

2 comments:

- said...

I don't have the sources, but here's some quotes that I've found through surfing various boards the last couple days. (Not surfboards, strangely enough)

On his wife of 67 years' passing in 2004:

My children and I were at her bedside as she slipped peacefully into eternity. As I held her hand and saw mortal life drain from her fingers, I confess I was overcome. Before I married her, she had been the girl of my dreams, to use the words of a song then popular. She was my dear companion for more than two-thirds of a century, my equal before the Lord, really my superior. And now in my old age, she has again become the girl of my dreams.

On Pope John Paul II's passing:

My beloved brothers and sisters, on behalf of the worldwide membership of this Church, I extend to our Catholic neighbors and friends our heartfelt sympathy at this time of great sorrow. Pope John Paul II has worked tirelessly to advance the cause of Christianity, to lift the burdens of the poor, and to speak fearlessly in behalf of moral values and human dignity. He will be greatly missed, particularly by the very many who have looked to him for leadership.

On his vision for the church when he was called as President:

Now, my brethren and sisters, the time has come for us to stand a little taller, to lift our eyes and stretch our minds to a greater comprehension and understanding of the grand millennial mission of this The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. This is a season to be strong. It is a time to move forward without hesitation, knowing well the meaning, the breadth, and the importance of our mission. It is a time to do what is right regardless of the consequences that might follow. It is a time to be found keeping the commandments. It is a season to reach out with kindness and love to those in distress and to those who are wandering in darkness and pain. It is a time to be considerate and good, decent and courteous toward one another in all of our relationships. In other words, to become more Christlike...

His words of Love and Hope have inspired me to live my life to a higher standard. I'd say rest in peace, but I'm thinking that Brother Hinckley has LOTS of work to do!

^_^

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.