Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Getting Strong Now

Met with a personal trainer today to kickstart my "becoming lean and sinewy like Bruce Lee" program. The initial session is included with my membership at ProSports Club, which I think should be listed as one of the 8 wonders of the modern world. The place is unlike any gym I've ever been to...45,000 sf of space including 4 olympic sized pools (4 lanes each), 15 tennis courts, 10 racquetball courts, 10 squash courts, 2 full-sized basketball courts including one that sports the hardwoods from the old Key Arena (the floor on which the Sonics won their championship back in the day). There are three seperate workout areas, each with about 25 treadmills, 25 elliptical machines, 25 stairmasters, and every type of nautilus machine you could want. And don't forget the full-service auto detailing shop, or the gourmet restaurant, or the doctor's offices, or the physical therapy offices...it's not a gym..it's an adventure.

Anyway, I had my first (and probably only--I'm cheap that way) meeting with a personal trainer today. I talked through my exercise history, my trouble spots (knees and shoulders), and my goals (lose 10 lbs, do 10 unassisted pull ups). He gave me a good exercise regimen and showed me a barrage of stretching exercises that I can do to get more flexible and protect my joints.

I also got some raw data: my body fat percentage is 19.1% and my weight is 226.4 lbs. My heart rate was very low (108 over 74) which is really good but it's something I have to keep working at to maintain. My flexibility stinks, but that's not a big surprise. My chest measures 44" and my "true waste" is 38 1/2". It will be fun to see those numbers shrink over the next few months.

No comments: