Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Time for the TV IV

The fall tv season is officially upon us, and I'm at a bit of a mini-crisis. I had gotten very used to the long summer nights devoid of Survivor, America's Next Top Model, Desperate Housewives, Grey's Anatomy, the Bachelor, and even 30 Rock, The Office, Heroes, and Lost. But here the shows are again, bigger and louder than ever. Do I really have to get sucked in again?

So we saw the first episode of Heroes last night, and without giving anything away for those who are catching it later, there were far too many times during the show where Eryn and I looked at each other with raised eyebrows and laughed unintentionally. Overall it was one big "meh." A couple of times I even said, "do I really care to get involved in all of this again?" I think there are just too many characters that you don't really like and the plots weave together way too simplistically. Thank goodness for Tivo. And Battlestar Galactica, which I am now finally starting to watch, thanks to Ben for sending the first season to me. The big contrast with that show is, they have this huge sprawling cast, and there's not a weak link among the actors or a stock character among the group. VERY interesting. And cool action sequences like space battles that are mostly silent (because space is a vacuum, blah blah).

On the plus side, the new Survivor actually was pretty interesting - I think the backdrop of mainland China is excellent for the show. I've never liked the first 8 weeks or so of the show, but the premier was actually fun to watch this time. The good thing about Survivor to me is that you don't have to actually sit and watch the whole episode...you can just dodge in and out, make sure you see the reward challange and then coem back for tribal council. Not like Heroes or Lost where you want to catch every word.

And so far the new show contending for a spot in our weekly lineup: Kid Nation. It's like Survivor....with kids. Thought I would hate it, and we kind of accidentally started watching it on Sat night. Here's the thing: it's really good! The kids are so much more interesting than I'd ever would have thought. The premise is very similar to survivor but with enough changes that you don't feel like you're watching a straight copy. I'm not quite ready to make it appointment TV just yet...but I'd say it's definitely worth a look...and much more engaging at this point than Heroes (sorry HRG and Parkman - if it was just your two stories (or any two..or three...but not seven) it would be great).

6 comments:

- said...

unfortunately, that's kinda what i thought it would be like. remember how it took like 6 episodes to get into season one? and what was the payoff? there was one super awesome really good episode last season. and it wasn't the finale, you know which one it is, and i can't say because dylan hasn't watched the season yet. was it worth it? depends how much you really want to do something else that night and what your alternatives are. like you said, good thing for tivo. i'd take a bad episode of heroes over 99% of other tv...

Dylan Todd said...

I'm actually kind of excited about this new season. Here's my list of shows:

Monday:
How I Met Your Mother (but turn it off immediately afterward... you DO NOT want to lay eyes on the comedy black hole that is the Big Bang Theory and Two & A Half Men. The horror!) which is like a the good parts of Friends mixed with a watered-down version of Seinfeld. Not curing cancer, but still one of the better sit-coms on the air.

Tuesday:
My guilty pleasure: Beauty & the Geek and, I just finished the premiere of Reaper, both on the CW. And... I think I like that show. It's Kevin Smith doing a male version of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Wednesday:
I'm going to be rushing home from Scouts to catch Bionic Woman and I'll admit it, my curiosity's piqued for Life.

Thursday:
You know where I will be... all night long. NBC, baby.

As for the rest of the time, well, that's why the good Lord created Netflix, right? I'm catching up on Veronica Mars, last season of the Office and 30 Rock (though I watched all the episodes online), and Heroes, though I gotta admit this post ans subsequent comments has seriously killed my buzz for the show. Also have to finish the Prisoner but dang, that show is dense!

Psyched for BSG season 3 to hit DVD (dude! I'm like Kanye West!) and whenever FOTC makes it way there, too.

Anything I'm missing?

Huston said...

long time reader, first time responder...

couldn't agree more with you about heroes jess. i think i'm going to sit this season out. if it's any good i'll catch it on dvd. not worth the effort.

Dylan Todd said...

I will ask one more time: Is season 1 of Heroes really worth getting into? Seriously, though. I'm only on disc 2. It's not too late to turn back.

Huston said...

turn back, it'll only let you down. you'll keep watching thinking that it'll turn cool and stop drawing everything out. that the show will pay less attention to the lame characters that you don't care about (i'm looking at you split personality mom) and geek out. but it doesn't happen.

arly said...

Oh, my long-time friend, TV... We had a falling out over the summer. There's so many shows that I love. I like the stories, the characters, the writing. But more and more garbage is being stuck into perfectly good shows. I'm not sure how to enjoy the TV feast without the indigestion that comes from consuming things that aren't meant for my system. I'm trying to get my seminary students to fill their minds and time with good things so the Holy Ghost can teach and inspire their lives, and somehow I don't know if I can watch all these shows. It makes me mad because I really like them. And besides, what else am I going to do on the treadmill? At least I still have Survivor.