Tuesday, September 23, 2008

5AM Workout

A couple of months ago I was in my office and overheard one of the developers talking about his schedule:

"So I get to the gym at 5AM, have a good workout, am in my office by 6:30 then put in a standard 12-hour day."

Two things that jarred me with that one: 1) that he was AT the gym at 5:00 (I was still getting over the mental challenge of waking up at 5:45 -- the pre-6:00 hour), and 2) that he was totally ok with putting in a 12-hour day. He's a pretty successful developer (he's a Principal, and about the same age as me...) so it was very good for me to hear about his work ethic in such concrete terms. It reminded me of when I heard the schedule of one of my friends growing up who made partner at his law firm by age 30...he was at the office at 6:30 every day (AFTER going to the gym) and worked until 7pm every night.

So I'm joining the folks who work out at 5AM. Not because I want to be partner at a law firm or a principal at microsoft, but because I've been running pretty regularly at 5:45 every morning, and I'm not really seeing much in terms of results. And because it's starting to get cold at 5:45 and when I open the door it's completely black outside and especially on the rural roads around our neighborhood it feels pretty crazy to try to go and run in that stuff.

So I was at the gym this morning at 5:25 (hey I got UP at 5:00) and had the best workout I've had for 6 months. Getting up that early also meant I had to skip the Heroes premier last night (it was 2 hours long and we didn't get around to starting it until 10pm so we both decided it was just too late to start...). I'm glad about that. I've actually been dreading the fall TV season starting up again because of how much of a hold it takes on my evening schedules. I really like it so much better when I don't try to cram 2 hrs of tv in every night.

Here's to consistency...

JT

5 comments:

Dylan Todd said...

Okay, so maybe you can help me out here: what the heck is the appeal for Heroes? I seriously do not get it. Like, at all. I tried watching last night but was just horrified at how awful/boring/hamfisted it was. It was like watching a really bad mid-80's comic book come to life. (It's like Harbinger or something.) Am I crazy? Or am I missing something?

Jesse said...

I'm actually a bit on the fence for heroes this season. I loved the first 5 or so episodes of Season 1, but the story pretty quickly spun out of control and many decisions made by the writers are just...stupid.

Eryn and I were actually laughing at the "pre-premier" party NBC/Heroes threw for itself last night from 8-9pm. Talk about self-congratulation for a feat you haven't even accomplished yet...they were treating the show like it was the biggest cultural sensation since U2.

I'll give the 2-hr premier a shot (as long as I can skip the horrible commercials) but if it doesn't grab us by the throat and command us to watch...then I think we'll just end up watching alot of Arrested Development this fall instead. And Chuck.

Michael said...

God speed on the workouts, brother.

And as far as Heroes goes, I'm with Dylan. My wife loves it, but I fall asleep watching it with her every single time.

- said...

Congrats man. I'm working on joining you there. All I need is to take an hour and make a weekly plan. That's my problem, I'm too seat-of-the-pantsy. Have you ever noticed that about me?

My wife hates Heroes, I love it. What is TV if it's not melodramatic and silly? I guess I've got investment (I've seen all the episodes). I was about to give up near the end of season 1 but then they jumped to the future and it freaking ROCKED. I just realize that with TV you just have to lower the bar a bit. Before LOST, the only show I patronized was Survivor, and that's because it started the same year Jessica and I got married so it became "our show". Then I saw LOST which just blew me away, although the actors are more and more getting on my nerves. Fringe is promising but still taking itself too seriously. Terminator I dig. I'm pretty sure I'd get lambasted for that but hey, killer cyborgs are cool. Plus, I'm in love with River Tam (there, I said it). I'm excited for the U.S. "Life on Mars". I wish I was up to date on 30 rock but I'm stuck somewhere in Season 2. And The Office, I need to start that one.

- said...

Read the second paragraph here. Heroes is the biggest thing NBC has. I didn't realize how big that show is, man. If only there was a really good Sci-Fi show on... That would be crazy!