Tuesday, September 23, 2008

What's in my Playlist Now

So contrary to what I've posted lately, I actually still do listen to music. I haven't gone and become Amish or anything (mennonite? zen buddhist?). I just haven't been sharing. So here's what's currently in my Rhapsody playlist. Oh how I love the All-You-Can-Eat music model:

Dr. Dog (Fate)
Big fan of this release. It's fun, catchy, poppy, slightly 60's retro. It's got that great AM radio sound like M. Ward, etc, but much more playful than the brooding genius. Favorite track is "Uncovering the Old", which was in the background during dinner the other day and got the whole family spontaneously dancing in our seats.

Assorted (Ping of Pong)
This is a great mix brought to you by BRR (and friends I believe)...great eclectic upbeat fun mix.

TV on the Radio (Dear Science)
Bluesy, hip-hoppy, electronica. Very smooth and danceable grooves. Catchy enough to be labeled 'Pop', smart enough to never be played on the actual radio.

Land of Talk (Some are Lakes)
Still trying this one out. It's an boy-girl indie-pop outfit (no surprise there)..they have a bit of an edge to themselves (the girl sounds a bit like the lead singer of Evanescence) but so far they prove to have a way with melody and instrumentation and wordplay.

Blind Pilot (3 Rounds and a Sound)
Great Portland band -- a 3-piece I believe that creates beautiful hushed melodies set to strumming guitars. Kind of like if Johnny Marr played with Iron and Wine ... well not as hushed as Iron and Wine but...

Brian Eno and David Byrne (Everything that Happens will Happen Today)
Just loaded this up and love every track that's popped up on random so far. These guys were just absolutely made for each other musically. Neither of them have sounded so strong in years. It's just what you'd expect: atmospheric, literate, both fresh and familiar, with a strong world-influenced rhythm section.

6 comments:

Dylan Todd said...

That Dr. Dog album's aces. Sure, they're totally derivative, but at least they're ripping off good bands (The 3 "B"'s: Beatles, Beach Boys the Band).

Haven't given the new TVOTR album more than a quick listen, but looking forward to it.

Everything That Happens... is really great. It could have easily been incredibly disappointing, but it delivers. It's understated, but brilliant. But then again, I'm totally in love with both Eno and Byrne, so maybe I'm not the most objective listener.

Thanks for the shout out on the Ping Of Pong mix. Internet sensation Chris Haley and I have had a blast putting them together.

Here's my short list of albums I've been rockin' this late summer/early fall:

Mates Of State's Re-Arrange Us
Born Ruffians' Red, Yellow & Blue
Los Campesinos' Hold on Now, Youngster...
Black Kids' Partie Traumatic
Pine Hill Haints' Ghost Dance

- said...

Thanks for posting. My playlist has been becoming stale. In fact, I looked last week and almost every album I had on there was one of Dylan's mixes. (Thanks, Dyl). I tried Blind Pilot but they were so slow that they made Iron and Wine seem like speedmetal. Maybe in small doses on random?

Anyway, thanks again for the list. And, out of these, which one would I like the most? I'm trying to steal as little of music as possible these days... Yes, I am going to hell for sure.

Jesse said...

Hm. If you were only going to do 1, I'd say that depends on the mood:

If you want something classic, accessible, but smart and literate with the world-music touch, go with Byrne/Eno.

If you want something funky, go with TV on the Radio. It's a very eclectic mix...they've been called the Radiohead of Brooklyn.

If you want something fun, a little sloppy, but full of hooks, go with Dr. Dog.

My favorite right now is Blind Pilot, mostly on the strength of their second track.

Dylan Todd said...

I neglected to add White Denim's Workout Holiday to my list. It's thrashy, dancey, garagey rock and roll and it is oh so good.

Jesse said...

Workout Holiday? All I can see is the Let's Talk About it EP. Hopefully Workout Holiday is on its way...

Jesse said...

Love love love the Mates of State album. So far that's my favorite Indie Pop album of the year I think. I am prone to hyperbole.

Couldn't find Born Ruffians :(

Los Campesinos is tons of fun. Like Arcade Fire without the angst.

Black Kids are like the crazy love children of "Head on the Door" era Cure and ... Los Campesinos. Lots of fun.

thanks for the mix.