Monday, August 13, 2007

Falling Asleep in Sacrament

eryn stayed home from church with a stomach bug yesterday, and when she asked how the meeting went, I said something like, "you didn't miss much. those were the two least-energetic speakers I've ever heard." Now since the two of us just spoke in church 2 weeks ago, you'd think I'd be much more forgiving in my critique...but they were really, really listless.

Then this morning on the way into work I'm listening to Hal Eyring (can you call an apostle by his nickname) and he tells a story of a home teacher that visited his home and took notes during their discussion. Elder Eyring (Pres of Ricks College at the time) was a little proud of himself, saying something interesting enough to warrant note taking. Until 2 weeks later, when he sat behind the same brother in a primary class and noted that he was taking notes, just as intently, while listening to a 9-year old speaking. The message was how it's up to us to listen to the spirit from whoever may be called to teach us. That the onus is just as much on us as listeners as on the speakers/teachers to invite and listen to the still small voice.

Point taken. Thanks, Elder Eyring. I love listening to his talks because he has a way of exposing such simple, human faults and shortcomings and gently and persuasively showing a better way.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That's a really good point and I think can be attributed to almost anything or anyone that you're listening to. I just wanted to say that I'm glad I was finally able to meet you as I've heard so much about you from Ben. It's awesome that he has an older brother to look up to that is worth looking up to.

Jesse said...

Welcom Zak. Great to meet you too.