Friday, October 12, 2007

Bionic Woman? It's No Alias

This is probably the show I was most excited about in the new TV season...and I think out of the handfull of series premiers I recorded on the DVR, it's the only one I've been interested enough in actually carving out some time to watch. Let me know if there's something HUGe out there I'm missing (Chuck still sounds like it could be fun, as does Reaper), but I'm pretty sure there isn't another Lost or 24 (first few seasons anyway) or Heroes out there, or another Alias, for that matter.

Which brings me to my point: Bionic Woman had so much potential: the team behind Battlestar Gallactica (we're only done with Season 1 but can't wait for Blockbuster to have Season 2 in stock --somebody else is a week ahead of us and they only have one copy of the series-- and the girl from Battlestar (Starbuck) and Isaiah Washington (always my favorite from Grey's Anatomy). But unfortunately the girl from Battlestar isn't the lead (I thought she was Jaime Summers but turns out she's "bad bionic woman" and she's pretty crazy and may not be around much longer), and the person who is playing Jaime Summers just isn't very interesting.

What keeps us watching Battlestar is how strong each of the characters are written and the emotionally-driven story lines. Strange to say, but a space opera played out in another time, another place, with mythically long-lost human relatives has some of the most believable and authentic acting and storylines I've seen on TV. Now it's not perfect, and there are plot holes big enough to drive a Cylon Raider through, but you really feel the characters' fear, frustration, anger, elation, joy, etc. So far Bionica Woman is pretty much a formula-driven action show, without the depth and layers that make Battlestar so enjoyable and relatable.

Another challenging comparison for Bionic Woman is Alias. So much of the first couple of episodes mirror each other: bright young college age girl is recruited/forced into becoming a super agent for a clandestine black ops arm of the US Government. So far JJ Abrahms did that story line SOOOOO much better. I remember holding my breath after the end of just about every one of the first Alias episodes, especially the first few story arcs where you had no idea who to believe or who you could trust or what was reality. That was a really cool show.

So for now, I'll probably still see a few more episodes of Bionic Woman, to see if they can make the Jaime character interesting or not, and to see if they can bring in some of the texturing of Battlestar. If not, well that will be 40 minutes I get back in my life each week! (Let's just hope I don't end up using it watching "Deal or No Deal.")

7 comments:

Dylan Todd said...

Dude. I couldn't agree more. It's a pretty boring show. I was all psyched, too. More Bionic. Less Woman. Seriously, though.

Reaper is a decent distraction. I think Chuck is sort of boring. I like Life despite the fact that it's mining the same area as House or Monk with the "quirky/brilliant" main character.

Jesse said...

If there's one thing JJ Abrahms absolutely excels at (besides storytelling and walking the fine line between geek and mainstream) it's choosing his cast. His leads, from Felicity to Alias to Lost (not sure how much credit he gets for them, but...) and even MI:3 are just SUPERb.

The Bionic Woman girl is just way too...pouty? Too two-dimensional (when it's the third dimension that really gets you). Which is what's really suprising because the Battlestar cast, top to bottom, is what keeps you watching.

Michael said...

Thumbs down on Bionic Woman. I think Reaper could go some where.

My favorite new show so far in this young television season...Aliens In America. Check it out.

- said...

I just saw episode three of both Bionic and Heroes. I thought they were the best episodes of the season (for their shows). In Heroes case, I think it could have just started with that episode and left the first two out. I'm going to stay with that one.

Bionic is still finding its footing, and Mr. Eick will tweak as necessary. The third episode here was definitely, as RDT put it, More Bionic. Less Woman. That being said, it was still a little too much woman

I'm still going to DVR both of them. My prospects for both of them have gone from a 5/10 to a 6/10, at least.

I was going to ask the same question, though. What is worth watching this season? I guess I'll have to find Life and Aliens In America. Thanks for the recommendations, fellas. Anything else I should know about?

Dylan Todd said...

I'd recommend How I Met Your Mother if you're not already watching it. Great cast and above-average sitcom writing. It's a little PG-13 at times so put the kids to bed, but other than that the only other shows I just can't miss are Beauty & the Geek (which I've already apologized for over here) and the always amazing 30 Rock. Seriously, how do they cram so much funny into 30 minutes?

I got halfway through the second disc of Heroes, season 1 and quit. Figured I'd save myself the frustration that everybody I know was experiencing.

New TV... you let me down.

Kendra said...

Berg and I have been watching Chuck and it is no Alias, but it is entertaining in a comical/nice guy saving the world way.

micheal said...

The Bionic Woman girl is just way too...pouty? Too two-dimensional (when it's the third dimension that really gets you). Which is what's really suprising because the Battlestar cast, top to bottom, is what keeps you watching.