Thursday, October 25, 2007

Bus Bus, Magic Bus

So Microsoft started up employee buses about 2 mos ago and they're great. Onboard wifi and power at every seat. The buses travel in the carpool lanes so even with the stop along the way and driving to and from the bus station it only adds about 20 mins commuting time each way, while giving me back about 40 mins each way to work...and BLOG!

Last week or two and the next week or two is the ultra busy season. We're doing prep for "Strategy Day", which is where each of the business groups go in front of the CEO to present a 3-year revenue/expenses plan in order to commit what future revenues are going to be and ask for additional investments from corporate. It's been a ton of work but extremely interesting to see how the entire business comes together. I still have a very long way to go, but already I'm starting to speak Microsoft (it's a language all its own) and by the end of this process I may even be able to explain what the products in my division actually do!

Ok the bus ride was faster than I thought. Here are some parting thoughts:

- the only thing worse than being an indians fan right now is being a Yankees fan. how low-rent is it for Steinbrenner to fire Torre? Anywhere else and Torre has a lifetime pass, like Atlanta or St Louis.

- Loving the Sansa. New this week is The Thrills, The Shout out Louds, Cass McCombs, and Band of Horses. Yes I wrote off Band of Horses as a hair band on Dylan's site, but they're one of those albums that whenever a song comes up on shuffle I like it more and more.

- Haloween is tons of fun. Can't wait for all the parties and to see the kids run around in their costumes. It's just as much for the parents as the kids (I didn't realize that until this year). I had thought that my kids could skip the Microsoft trick or treat fest...but man I want everyone to see them at my work! Cause my kids are the cutest!

- Season 2 of battlestar is awesome action. Not as fun as Season 1 was when everything was new and for a few episodes in a row, every episode had a very distinct flavor to it. Still absolutely top notch though.

- Loved last Gen Conf. Listened to Elder Bednar's talk this morning and really liked it. Need to listen again.

1 comment:

- said...

I don't have much of a comment about baseball, I really should learn about sports so I can fit in around the water cooler. Maybe after I graduate.

I'm glad you're digging the Sansa. I'm really enjoying Band of Horses and Shout Out Louds too. They're like guilty pleasures, though. Like the Killers.

Yes, Battlestar Galactica slows down and finds it's pace now. There are a couple (gasp!) weak episodes, but they're only weak compared to other BSG episodes. Still better than all the shows not called LOST.

Tonight is the ward Halloween party. We've been keeping Harper's costume a secret. Until now... He's going to be Mickey Mouse! We're so excited. Each auxiliary in the ward is taking a room to decorate and have candy. I hope that there's going to be something going on in the cultural hall. It totally reminds me of the 22nd ward when we had our Halloween parties. I remember bobbing for apples and I remember Bishop O'Roarke scaring me so bad in the Relief Society room/Haunted House. And I remember dry ice from there, too.

Now that I've finished The Dark Tower series, I'm going to listen to the conference talks. I'm excited. You, by the way, still need to listen to Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow. They're ~10 hours each. Please, please.