Tuesday, October 9, 2007

A Transcendent Moment



"Charity is the defining quality of Latter-day Saints, just as it was when Paul enjoined the early saints in Corinth to develop the quality. Love for God and love of one's neighbor remain the marks of a Christian."

"Now, for us, the measure of our love is the measure of the greatness of our souls. ... Love is the beginning, the middle and the end of the pathway of discipleship. It comforts, counsels, cures and consoles. It leads us through valleys of darkness and through the veil of death. In the end, love leads us to the glory and grandeur of eternal life.

"Sometimes the greatest love is not found in the dramatic scenes that poets and writers immortalize. Often, the greatest manifestations of love are the simple acts of kindness and caring we extend to those we meet along the path of life. True love lasts forever. It is eternally patient and forgiving. It believes, hopes and endures all things. That is the love our Heavenly Father has for us."

" All humans yearn for that kind of love, given in spite of shortcomings. Heavenly Father is the ideal of such love. He sees and loves his children, with all their shortcomings, as the beings they are capable of becoming."

I hope I never forget the feeling I had when I saw Elder Wirthlin struggling at the pulpit. Over the years he's become a favorite of mine. His talks are sometimes difficult to follow as he delivers them, but when listened to closely are so eloquent and powerful and insightful. The talk he was giving this day was a masterpiece on Charity. And then the transcendent happened: Elder Wirthlin, who has had severe back problems for the past 8 years, began to have a back spasm. In the middle of General Conference, in front of millions of people. A man of his determination does not let that stop him, no, not one bit. One of his brothers, close by his side, rushed to his aid to provide a gentle but firm and supportive hand to give him the ability to complete his talk. I don't know what was more touching...the fact that Elder Wirthlin was talking about Charity and brotherly love and kindness, the sight of Elder Nelson's humble and loving demeanor, the sheer willpower evident in Elder Wirthlin's delivery, or the meek (meaning humble but confident) "thank you" Elder Wirthlin gave after the lights went down. It stopped me in my tracks when it occurred, and I hope I never forget it.

Elder Holland was supposedly heard saying as the brethren were retreating from their seats after the meeting, "Elder Wirthlin, if we're ever called to charge up a mountain, I want you to be the one to lead the charge!"

Amen, and Amen.


1 comment:

- said...

Beautiful, heart stopping stuff. I was taking notes, and I heard Jessica gasp. I looked up and saw Elder Wirthlin oscillating. My eyes were drawn to the screen and my whole will extended to him, doing anything I could to help him through his talk.

I was so amazed to see that as his body's control deteriorated, his focus on his talk grew, and it felt to me as if he were a pure vessel, and the spirit spoke directly through him.

I must say, conference was a most edifying experience this week, and I look forward to rehearing, rereading, and re experiencing the talks.