Monday, July 2, 2007

5 Best Albums of 2007 - so far...

Now that we've crossed into the second half of '07, it's time to take a look back at the best albums the music world has given us so far...

5. 3-way race between: Blue Sky Blue, Wilco / The Search, Son Volt / We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank, Modest Mouse Yes I know it's a cop-out to list 3 albums here, but all three of these surprised me with how good they were, and they caused me to want to listen again and again. These represent the first Wilco I've been able to get into from the first listen, the most consistent Son Volt I've heard, and Johnny Marr as the newest 'Mouse'keteer.

4. Icky Thump, White StripesI've listened to this abum repeatedly since it came out a week ago, and continue to find nuggets that make me smile. I love the "icky" (which I interpret as Jack's snaggletooth guitar or instrument-of-the-moment such as a tortured keyboard) and the "thump" (Meg's understated, simplistic, BOOM of a bass drum). Love the textures, love the variety, love tongue-in-cheek and the fact that Jack doesn't take himself too seriously.

3. Wincing the Night Away, The Shins Maybe the best new wave/british pop album since Violator. Except it's American Indie Pop. I love the arrangements and the intricacies found here. Lots of texture. You'll catch on soon that that's a really important musical element for me. I love me my simple melody like "God Only Knows" from Pet Sounds, but when a group can put together contrasting textures...interesting instruments, dynamic changes in tempo and sound, and keep it together as a cohesive whole, that always keeps me coming back for more.

2. Easy Tiger, Ryan Adams Easily this generation's Johnny Cash or Willie Nelson, Ryan Adams once again shows he can bring it with the best of them. I was a little over-anxious on the first listen and winced when I heard lyrics like "maybe we'll win the whole she-bang" and the track titled "Halloween Head", but after about 8 listens in the past week (in constant rotation with Icky Thump) this album is destined to go down as one of the best RA albums to date. A gentler, twangier sound, which kind of feels like all three of his 2005 albums rolled up into one. Lots of standout songs, like "Two" (again the music overcomes simplistic lyrics...and Sheryl Crow)and "Oh My God, Whatever" (can't wait to be able to play this one myself).

1. Neon Bible, Arcade Fire From the first time I heard this, it was the album to beat. Not since the best days of Radiohead has a band created such dynamic tension and cathartic release. And with such an incredible wall of sound coming from all 8 band members playing in perfect balance of chaos and harmony. Truth be told, I haven't listened to this album nearly as much as the others on the list. But it stays on the top (at least for now) for 2 reasons: 1) Easy Tiger and Icky Thump are too new to know how they'll age so I can't put them on top, and 2) When I was in my office somewhere in week 2 or 3 and feeling completely in over my head and overwhelmed and anxious, I heard some music down the hall that perfectly captured my emotions and mood and soothed and smoothed them and put them all back together again where they belonged. It was just a few bars but it completely captured the mood. It was one of those "music moments" that make being a music fan so rewarding. It was Neon Bible. That and because Arcade Fire is, ironically, the follow-up to Born to Run that the Boss never wrote. Awesome.


More to come...

2 comments:

- said...

who knew you'd be such an alt-country boy? good list, keep the entries coming!

Dylan Todd said...

Nice list. Here's my bullet-pointed refutation/agreement:

The new Wilco album is hot stuff.

That Modest Mouse is a lot better than I thought it would be.

Icky Thump rocks.

The Arcade Fire album is almost detrimentally Springsteen-ian.

That Shins album is sort of boring, but okay.

Easy Tiger is solid, but the highs are a lot lower than on either of the last two Cardinals albums.

That Son Volt album sounds a lot like that other Son Volt album that sounds a lot like their first album that was only kind of good.

I would add the following as possible replacements/honorable mentions:

Gruff Rhys Candylion
Totally makes up for the last Super Furry Animals album, which was a bit weak.

Of Montreal Hissing Fauna
Dude. This album shakes, shimmies and shouts.

LCD Soundsystem Sound Of Silver
Seriously. Where's this one? Jesse, have you lost your mind?

Tom Waits Orphans
I am going to keep pimping this album until everyone I know owns it and admits to its awesomeness. Dude covers the Ramones' "Danny Says," fercryeye.

Coconut Records Nighttiming
Who knew Max Fisher could rock so hard?

Andrew Bird Armchair Apocrypha
Did this come out this year? No matter. I just heard it, so it's new to me.

Anyway, this comment is forever long. I will shut up now.