Tuesday, July 17, 2007

All Things Considered

Listened to a talk by Elder Maxwell this morning called "The Inexhaustible Gospel." Not many things in this world make me feel as much an intillectual weakling as listening to Elder Maxwel. The talk was about truth and knowledge and how there are countless things you can gain knowledge about, but not all of it is useful. He says, "it is a truth that I am wearing a blue suit, but that knowledge is useless." He goes on to say that the most important truths we can learn are eternal truths, those that help us to become more like Christ which is the aim of our existence. He said that true knowledge is both mental and physical...it is both KNOWING and DOING. Reminded me about what the Book of Mormon calls Belief: which is both to "believe" and to "do." The Nephites and Lamanites were labeled as Believers or non-Believers because of their actions, not their words.

Anyway, it got me thinking how important it is to spend what little time I have exercising my mental muscles in ways that are meaningful and will contribute to something, and not just pass the time. Not to say that there isn't time for pure enjoyment now and again, but if it becomes a habit to use my commute to passively listen to sports radio rather than engaging podcasts or beautiful music, then that time is lost to me forever and what I could have become has been diminished.

So, All Things Considered, it is not wise to consider all things of equal value. And when time is the currency used to purchase who we become, I need to make sure I'm spending it wisely. Just need to be a little more aware and make sure I make the wiser choice.

2 comments:

Eean said...

"When time is the currency used to purchase who we become, we need to be sure we are spending it wisely"--you are well on your way to becoming more Maxwellian than you think!

Jesse said...

Yeah I kinda like how that rolled out...(though suspicious it's one of those somebody else actually said at some point)